Chemical Biology Summer Program (ChBSP)
Tri-Institutional Chemical Biology Summer Program (ChBSP)
[[ PAGE BANNER: see the home page instructions for adding new images. Image should be 864 pixels wide by any height. ]]
ChBSP brings outstanding rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors who are interested in pursuing research at the interface of chemistry and biomedicine for a summer research experience on the Tri-Institutional campuses of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, The Rockefeller University, and Weill Cornell Medicine. Applicants must have a background in chemistry, biochemistry, or chemical biology. The program runs from June 3 – August 9, 2019. The application will be available beginning on November 1, 2018 and must be submitted online by February 1, 2019.
Students who are accepted to ChBSP will:
• Adapt their chemistry skills to tackle cutting-edge problems in biomedical research
• Work in preeminent research labs at Sloan Kettering, Rockefeller, or Weill Cornell
• Interact with faculty, postdoctoral fellows, and graduate students
• Attend weekly scientific lectures by faculty
• Participate in weekly journal club discussions
• Attend professional development workshops
• Present their research in a poster session at the end of the summer
Students will be paid $6,000 for the summer. Please note that we will be unable to offer housing to ChBSP summer interns, so students will need to have their own accommodations in the NYC area.
Areas of Research
Students will partner with faculty from Sloan Kettering, Rockefeller, and Weill Cornell who have expressed a strong interest in working with undergraduate students with chemistry skillsets. The faculty listed below are conducting research in diverse areas of chemical biology and provide exciting research opportunities for students with backgrounds in chemistry, biochemistry, or chemical biology. Information about their scientific projects can be found by visiting their respective websites:
How To Apply
Undergraduate freshman, sophomores, and juniors who are majoring in chemistry, biochemistry, chemical biology, or related fields are invited to apply to ChBSP.
Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the US.
Students can complete and submit the online application at: sam.mskcc.org/ChBSP. The application portal will open on November 1, 2018. The application deadline is on February 1, 2019.
• Interests in applications of chemistry to biomedical problems
• Personal statement describing research background and interests
• Completion of college-level chemistry courses (minimum 3.0 GPA overall)
• Two letters of recommendation by faculty members who are familiar with the applicant’s academic preparation and research potential. Letters must be submitted by faculty members directly via the online submission system.
• Official transcript from applicant’s college or university. Transcript can be emailed from your school’s registrar to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
Office of Scientific Education and Training
c/o Romina Rodriguez
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
1275 York Avenue, Box 376, New York, NY 10065.
Applicants will receive offers of lab placement no later than March 15, 2019.
Daniel Bachovchin, PhD
Summer Program Director