FAQ for New Students
Health Requirement Questions
Is vaccination against COVID required?
- According to Weill Cornell Student Health Services, full vaccination against COVID-19 is required for all students participating in on-campus activity and/or living in student housing unless granted an accommodation for a medical or religious exemption. Individuals who are not able to obtain vaccination prior to arrival for the fall semester or whose vaccination is not recognized by New York state, will be expected to be vaccinated as soon after their arrival as possible. All students participating in on-site campus activity must observe all campus-required safety practices regardless of vaccination.
What COVID vaccines are recognized by New York state and what does it mean to be fully vaccinated?
- As of April 2021, New York state currently recognizes the Johnson & Johnson/Janssen, Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines. Johnson & Johnson is a single dose vaccine. Pfizer and Moderna each require two doses. An individual is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the final dose in the product schedule. WCM is awaiting guidance from U.S. authorities on how to manage students who have received vaccines not approved for use in the U.S. and intend to facilitate the needs of these students (if any) based on this guidance.
What documentation is needed to meet WCM health requirements?
- Students are required to submit health history information, documentation of required immunizations, and complete a physical exam. Forms are due no later than 30 days prior to the start of the program (June 1). Download the Student Health Packet (pdf file) and note that completed forms must be mailed (not faxed or emailed).
Onboarding Related Questions
When do I start receiving my graduate stipend?
- Prior to the start of the program, a Human Resources (HR) staff member will send you new employment forms to complete and you will have a virtual onboarding meeting. Once your forms are cleared, you will start receiving your stipend every other week on Fridays.
What are the onboarding requirements for international students?
- • All new and transfer international students must complete an online check-in process to activate their F-1 status at Weill Cornell. More information can be found here.
- • All new international students will be asked to fill out a tax questionnaire as part of their HR onboarding process. Based on the information provided, the HR Immigration team will advise each student’s tax withholding status and ask them to sign additional treaty exemption forms if applicable.
Where can I find information on health insurance?
- WCM health insurance is managed by Student Accounting and you can find more information on their website. Be sure to read the New Student Checklist.
How do I activate my Weill Cornell Center-Wide ID (CWID)?
- Your CWID (pronounced “seaweed”) is your Weill Cornell Graduate School userID that you’ll use to log into WCM systems. Once you receive your personal credentials, activate your CWID here.
How do I check my Weill Cornell email?
- Your email account is your CWID, followed by @med.cornell.edu. For best results, we recommend accessing your email account via Outlook or through the Office 365 web interface anywhere you have an Internet connection.
How do I get access to the Weill Cornell network?
- Submit a new connection request at myHelpdesk, a self-service web portal that allows you to submit any issue or request online. Access requires a valid CWID and password.
How do I get a Weill Cornell ID card?
- Once your new employee forms are processed by HR, go to the New York Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Security Office, located at 523 East 70th Street (“Annex” building). Let the Security Officer know you are a new student. Please bring a government photo ID with you to confirm your identity.
Lab Rotations & Coursework
For my lab rotation at Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), how do I get an ID card?
- First complete a non-employee form (pdf) and submit to the MSK Office of Graduate Studies. Then complete a non-employee survey from MSK HR – the link will be sent to you once your non-employee status is processed.
For my lab rotation at Rockefeller University (RU), how do I get an ID card?
- Email Kristen Cullen at the Dean’s Office and copy Margie H. Mendoza, the Tri-I Program Administrator with the following information: Name, Program, Rotation Start Date/End Date, and RU Lab Name. Once approved, you will be instructed to go to the Nurses Residence, First Floor for ID photos.
How do I register for Weill Cornell classes?
- Course listings are available on LEARN and all registration occurs in that environment. An active CWID is required to login. Registration instructions are broadcasted by email before each registration and add/drop period. Please see the Academic Calendar for the schedule.
How do I register for Rockefeller University classes?
- Students may apply to take courses at Rockefeller each semester by completing an application in LEARN.
How do I register for classes at Columbia University?
- Follow these instructions (pdf file).