Weill Cornell Medical College The Rockefeller University Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center

Apply Online Application Due: December 1, 2013

FAQ for New Students

Health Requirement Questions

    What documentation is needed to meet WCM health requirements?

    • Students are required to submit health history information, documentation of required immunizations, and complete a physical exam. Forms are due no later than 30 days prior to the start of the program (June 1). Download the Student Health Packet (pdf file) and note that completed forms must be mailed (not faxed or emailed).

    Onboarding Related Questions

    When do I start receiving my graduate stipend?

    • Prior to the start of the program, a Human Resources (HR) staff member will send you new employment forms to complete and you will have a virtual onboarding meeting. Once your forms are cleared, you will start receiving your stipend every other week on Fridays.

    What are the onboarding requirements for international students?

    • • All new and transfer international students must complete an online check-in process to activate their F-1 status at Weill Cornell. More information can be found here.
    • • All new international students will be asked to fill out a tax questionnaire as part of their HR onboarding process. Based on the information provided, the HR Immigration team will advise each student’s tax withholding status and ask them to sign additional treaty exemption forms if applicable.

    When can I start using my research allowance funds?

    • Students can begin using their research allowance once they are enrolled in WCM payroll. The research allowance policy is updated every year and the latest form is on the TPCB Intranet here.

    Where can I find information on health insurance?

    • WCM health insurance is managed by Student Accounting and you can find more information on their website. Be sure to read the New Student Checklist.

    How do I activate my Weill Cornell Center-Wide ID (CWID)?

    • Your CWID (pronounced “seaweed”) is your Weill Cornell Graduate School userID that you’ll use to log into WCM systems. Once you receive your personal credentials, activate your CWID here.

    How do I check my Weill Cornell email?

    • Your email account is your CWID, followed by @med.cornell.edu. For best results, we recommend accessing your email account via Outlook or through the Office 365 web interface anywhere you have an Internet connection.

    How do I get access to the Weill Cornell network?

    • Submit a new connection request at myHelpdesk, a self-service web portal that allows you to submit any issue or request online. Access requires a valid CWID and password.

    How do I get a Weill Cornell ID card?

    • Once your new employee forms are processed by HR, go to the New York Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Security Office, located at 523 East 70th Street (“Annex” building). Let the Security Officer know you are a new student. Please bring a government photo ID with you to confirm your identity.

    Lab Rotations & Coursework

    For my lab rotation at Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), how do I get an ID card?

    • First complete a non-employee form (pdf) and submit to the MSK Office of Graduate Studies. Then complete a non-employee survey from MSK HR – the link will be sent to you once your non-employee status is processed.

    For my lab rotation at Rockefeller University (RU), how do I get an ID card?

    • Email Kristen Cullen at the Dean’s Office and copy Margie H. Mendoza, the Tri-I Program Administrator with the following information: Name, Program, Rotation Start Date/End Date, and RU Lab Name. Once approved, you will be instructed to go to the Nurses Residence, First Floor for ID photos.

    How do I register for Weill Cornell classes?

    • Course listings are available on LEARN and all registration occurs in that environment. An active CWID is required to login. Registration instructions are broadcasted by email before each registration and add/drop period. Please see the Academic Calendar for the schedule.

    How do I register for Rockefeller University classes?

    • Students may apply to take courses at Rockefeller each semester by completing an application in LEARN.

    How do I register for classes at Columbia University?